Saturday, September 22, 2007

WTF?

What the Fetus? Yeah, I signed up for babycenter.com and now I am getting weekly emails on the development of our fetus. Cuz I haven't been through this before?! Anyhow, here's peanut at 6 weeks, which is what I am guessing I am at:

And here's what else I learned:
The nose, mouth, and ears that you'll spend so much time kissing in eight months are beginning to take shape. If you could see into your uterus, you'd find an oversize head and dark spots where your baby's eyes and nostrils are starting to form. His emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head, and his arms and legs by protruding buds. His heart is beating about 100 to 160 times a minute — almost twice as fast as yours — and blood is beginning to course through his body. His intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to his lungs has appeared. His pituitary gland is forming, as are the rest of his brain, muscles, and bones. Right now, your baby is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil bean.

So, for now I guess we are having a boy named "Lenny." This is still weird to wrap my brain around, but I find myself resigned to the truth of the matter. Is that progress? The picture creeps me out a bit.

I took all four of my kids to Red Robin at the mall tonight . . . by myself. I made them all tell me that I was the best mom EVER before we even attempted the feat. I was impressed and proud with how well we handled the situation. The kids were really good, and as we were walking to the car we all held hands. How Hallmark card are we? Caylee said, "Imgaine how big our chain would be if Dad were holding my hand right here" (she was on the end), and I said, "Imagine if Dad were on the end and I was holding the baby in my arms." The kids' mouths dropped opened at the imagined image, and I kinda had a visual of what life will be like in the spring. However, I probably won't be going out in public with a 5:1 ratio for a while; I'll have to work up to that. Anyway, I'm off to bed; starting to feel gross is becoming standard as I stay up too late. Have a happy Sunday :)

13 comments:

Erin said...

WTF??? Where did "a boy named Lenny" come from? Can we please revisit this interim-fetus-name? Yeah, you're brave taking on Red Robin solo with all the troops. But how nice that they all behaved for you? You deserve it, glad no catastrophes took place. Otherwise, you probably would have been signing up to go on Dr. Phil but instead of signing up for Babycenter. Hope you sleep better tonight!

Jamie G. said...

Good Job on going to Red Robin!! I get so many looks you wouldn't believe. Especially out here in Indiana, where having 5 kids is NOT the norm. It's nice,though, when you have one that's older that can help out, so don't be afraid to let your daughter start helping out,like with holding a hand, or getting someone buckled or unbuckled. It totally made my day when my oldest started to bathe my youngest. She does such a great job and loves to do it!(with me constantly watching over them, of course) It'll be great!!!

Beth said...

You should have called me. Red Robin is so my favorite place to eat! :) Glad the kids were good for you. And Lenny...or Lynette...amazing info!

Julina said...

yeah, I was wondering where the name lenny came from? And I'm all about hallmark card moments. that's awesome.

Jerolyn said...

Did you not read the post ladies The baby is the size of a LENTIL bean hence the nick name Lenny. Your welcome Sarah~see I pay attention when I read your blog!haha

barlows said...

Thank you Jerolyn for putting together the Lentil comment with the Lenny reference. YOU get the gold star blogger-reader award. UH, hello other people. We've been at this awhile; do I still have to explain EVERYTHING to you?

The Hulls said...

I got the Lenny comment! Very cute.

By the way, Ethan and I went to that Bodies exhibit when I was prego with Cheyenne. Amazing what has developed by 6 weeks. They have actual fetus' at the exhibit. You can see every tiny little finger, the heart, and a whole nervous system developed when they are no bigger than a thumbnail. It testifies to me what a miracle a baby is.

Good job taking 4 kids to a restaraunt alone! Red Robin is one of my favorites as well. Maybe we should have a big Red Robin night before October 5th:)

The RealFatman said...

OK All I have to say is I will never look at WTF the same thanks!!!

chanel said...

I love your Hallmark self! That is such a sweet image- what a fun mom/ fun family!

Heather said...

Im giving you a High Five for taking all the kiddos to Red Robin!!

The RealFatman said...

OK I am totally talking trash cause it is totally been almost a week since anything new!! I am starting to think you using the I am pregnant excuse is getting out of hand!!

Tristen said...

I don't know about this...I picked up my blogging efforts and you have slowed your blogging pace considerably! I don't know what to think about this! I miss your blogs!!!

Nan said...

I'm signed up on babycenter too and it is frightening how huge this baby inside of me is now. It seriously seems like just last week that I was calling him my little bean:) Too fun that you're right behind me...although you are already 4 up on me:) Good times!! My due date is in FIVE days!! Crazy!!! You are so lucky to be pregnant during the winter:) I'm never doing the summer pregnancy bake again!! Good job going to Red Robin with all of the kids...you are seriously my hero! GO SARAH!!