Saturday, June 2, 2007

You are Always on My Mind!

Picture of me and Tyler, June 1996

(I started this last night, but didn't post until, well, now.)

So, we've had a busy weekend so far. I haven't uploaded my pictures from today, so I hesitate to really write about everything. Mackenzie was baptized tonight and it got me thinking about how quickly time passes. Sheesh. Really? I can't believe I have an 8 year old. She is at the point she is really going to remember stuff. I think up to this point I have hoped that she would forget most of what I do and say so as not to be traumatized too much. But I have such vivid memories from when I was her age, that I think my hope will be wasted. I'll have to be more careful.


Nate and Stacy stopped by tonight after most people had left. Their anniversary is this weekend and, again, I can't believe it's already been a year since we were up in Huntsville for their wedding. They celebrated by eating at Claim Jumper since that is where they ate after they got engaged, and they're gonna make it a little tradition (I think.) Anyhow. It got me thinking about other June 2nds and I realized that 11 years ago today Tyler and I were officially a couple. Yeah, I totally remember the date for some reason, even though that's not a strong suit of mine. I mentioned it to him and he said it happened on June 1st, but I thought we sealed the deal (A KISS, I mean) after midnight, so technically it was June 2nd. Either way, June 2, 1996 was a Sunday and was the "day after" when I had to find out if Tyler was gonna freak out cuz we had finally breached the "hanging out" phase and moved on to the "making out" phase. We went to church and he had saved me a seat (a good sign), but my brother ganked it (typical) and so I had an hour and ten minutes to sweat it out. It obviously worked out. I could never have imagined if someone had asked that day where I would be in eleven years exactly I would say at my eldest daughter's baptism. Anyway. It's a trip. I still feel like a little imposter because I can't wrap my brain around having a kid that old when I don't feel that old. I still feel very lucky and blessed to be married to Tyler, let alone be the mother of his kids, and then watch him be such an awesome dad. I mean, really, who else but him would be able to lovingly, chastisingly, and frustratingly be able to say things like, "Babe, I just don't know how you thought all this stuff you wanted to get done was supposed to get done," while I was frantically running around the house prepping for the fete after the baptism. Immediately I just took it and knew it was coming from a good place. And, of course, he followed with "What do you want me to do?" And, eleven years after we first made out for hours on my parents front bench that June 1st/2nd, he still makes me laugh. Especially when he says stuff like, "I'm hotter than a firecracker." I remember that early dawn coming in the house and thinking, "my cheeks hurt from smiling so much." Tonight, I feel the same. If Mackenzie is lucky, she'll get her attributes from her dad. I saw the benefit of them that long ago, and it OBVIOUSLY worked out for me. Anyway. More about the baptism later, and the rest of the weekend's festivities.

7 comments:

Molly said...

I can't believe Kenzie is 8 now either; that's crazy.

Beth said...

The bench is still on our front porch if you want to come over and relive the old times! You neglected to let everyone know that making out for hours wasn't the APPROVED dating protocol at our house. I'm glad it worked out, too. And, yes, it's hard to believe it's been over 10 years. That was quite an eventful summer. Can we say strep throat?

chris jenkins said...

i can't believe how fast all of the kids have grown - i still remember Kenzie as a little baby!

the years have really flown by. once and while i dig through boxes of old pictures and think "was it really that long ago?"

congratulations to Kenzie and to you guys on 11yrs of being together - you are all some of the best people the Jenkins clan knows

The RealFatman said...

How cute is that your still soooo in love!!! And how gross that mom offered to let you relive the moment on her front porch now. I just pictured you making out on the porch and the Rancor from Jedi inside tearing up the house!! LOL

Julina said...

oh my heck! That's pretty dang cute. I'd say some other things, particularly regarding a certain brother of yours, but I know who all reads these things and they are in no way personal... so maybe we'll just save that for some other time. But I know how your face can hurt after hanging out with a cute boy...

Jerolyn said...

Tyler looks hotter than a fire cracker in this photo. SPF 50 anyone?! You two make a very cute couple.

Stac said...

Ok, I need you to post. I need to feed my addiction. Thanks for the nice comment on my page. I think Zoee is starting to look more like a Layton now that she is getting older too.