Thursday, March 13, 2008

When killing your kids is not an option.

I am SO upset with my boys right now. The weather has been beautiful the past couple days and they love to play outside. However, every time they have been out back lately we find within 5 minutes they are throwing stuff into the pool: rocks (mostly), golf clubs, cars, whatever they can find and [today] my decorative frogs that are in the flower beds. Yeah, that's right, the frogs are SHATTERED at the bottom of the spa. Not only am I pissed about having to throw away meaningless pieces of yard art, but also I have no idea how to get the shards of ceramic off the bottom of the spa without getting into the freezing water and pulling the little pieces out. We have just spent over $250 getting the pool sweep fixed from rocks being sucked up and jamming the mechanism. EVERY time I catch them (which takes them maybe 3-5 minutes unsupervised) they have to come inside and are kept inside for the day. WHICH really feels like punishment for me! Their punishment is to sit on their beds, but unless I sit in there with them, Brock climbs up the ladder to Brevin's bunk and within minutes Brevin is bawling because Brock is beating the crap out of him USUALLY with the wooden blocks. I'm thinking "You're 2 and 4, the instructions EVERY TIME they go outside are SO simple. . .don't throw anything in the pool." I told them they couldn't come out of their room for the whole day. I really am ready to follow through with that threat too. Otherwise I may seriously freak out on them. UGH! I am just mad.

15 comments:

Jerolyn said...

WHOA! I'm scared of you right now...very, very scared!

Although I did laugh RIGHT OUT LOUD when I read the title of this post. I SOOOO know the feeling. Hang in there girl...sending patience AND restraint your way!haha

julie said...

Ya, I hear ya...Its always something isn't it???? You just want to ring their freakin necks!!!! They act like they don't even have a clue sometimes..... Hang in there..This too shall pass.(I hate that phrase!) :)

Angela said...

I'm SOOOOO sorry - there's just not much more to say.

Jeannie said...

I could write a post on my blog using that same title about the vicious cycle we have in our house. Joel whistles (because he knows it drives Kyla crazy) then Kyla screams because it hurts her ears (her screaming is much louder by the way) so then Joel whistles louder and on and on. Nothing makes me crazier!

Tausha said...

i completely understand. I think every mom out there does. I wish, really wish really really wish, that there was a punishment that worked for all children. it would be a punishment that they hated so much that they would never even think of doing what they did again. And, it didn't drive us mom's crazy. I make my kids wash walls or some other things that is SOOOOO boring that they immediately say, Sorry mom, we will never do it again." They do, but at least not for a week or so. So, my advice, make your boys clean the walls, scrub the walls, every little bit and then ask them if they are going to listen to mommy next time. Good luck! I can relate. I know it doesn't make you feel any better. Go get your favorite drink, some chocolate and lock them in their room and watch a chick flick. You deserve it.

Jana said...

Sarah, what can I say? My boys would never have done a thing like that and when I send them to their rooms and bed that is where they stayed. Ha That would be in the perfect world. Joey was my kid that did that. Everything and anything went into the pool! I even had my pool fenced from the rest of the yard. He even threw things over the fence into the neighbors yard. It lasted until he was about what 8. lol It will pass. Then they grow up and you wish they were little and still throwing things over the fence and into the pool. You don't believe it now but it is true. Then they get married and the boys are gone. Daughters are always daughter, sons are they leave and go to the wifes side. I am lucky I see my son every day because he works for me.

Erin said...

Today they're throwing things in the pool, tomorrow they'll be stealing someone's fruit dip out of the church fridge on Sunday.

Babs said...

We have the same issue at our house. If its not bolted to the deck it'll end up in the pool. Go lock yourself in the bathroom for a min. and take a deep breath! Love ya.

Beth said...

That's right, Erin! This is where it begins!!!

Anthony said...

If they were older, I'd say send them in to get it. Any return missonary that went out-of country knows cold water (showers) never killed anyone.
I know this may sound extreme, but I'm sure PETA would have some words about cruelty to ceramic frogs. We never can be to careful!

Stac said...

That was Nate. Please don't kill any of yours kids.

Brynn said...

Oh my, I know your pain, with my two little ones. They are constantly fighting and arguing. I would kill though if that was happening at my house. So your not alone. Hope your week got better. Kids are hard. And just think....you get another one soon!!!

Julie M. said...

Just lettin' my peeps know I'm now Julie M. to eliminate confusion.

Gotta love those busy boys. In 15 yrs you'll sit around the dinner table and laugh about these things. Until then, good luck!

Leah and Dustin said...

You're totally right, Sarah, we SHOULD have another one...sounds like fun!!!! ha ha

MollyE said...

I love your blog!! It is so good to catch up with you again. You make me laugh and I really miss you!! It has been so long! I just started doing the blog thing. Come check it out.
mollyandtheboys.blospot