Monday, September 8, 2008

First Day of School

For ElRae.
The first day of school always has (and, I figure, will) mark an exciting milestone in our family. This year, it was Caylee joining Mackenzie in the "all day" experience (aka Mom doesn't have to be back at the school in 2.5 hours for kinder pick-up . . . YESSSS!) And, to add to the fun and excitement of the whole school sha-bang, my great friend, ElRae hosted a mommy breakfast that morning after all the kids were dropped off. I did decide, though, there's something out of kilter when I still have a MAJORITY of my children at home instead of at school. Oh well. Preschool doesn't start for a month or so for the boys, but then it is par-tay time for me (well, not really, just easier trips to Sam's Club and Target.)
But, really, thanks, ElRae for the good eats and fun conversation as we recounted our mornings (L-R: Shawna, Sherry, Toni, Donna, Jeannie, and me - ElRae's behind the camera)

So, before dropping the darlings off at their schools, we did the stop and shoot before piling in the car. This was the first year that Kenzie did her hair herself ("washed and blow dry is the ONLY thing I want to 'do' my hair this year, Mom.") and I guess that means she's growing up a bit. AS IF being in 4th grade didn't rub it in enough. It's crazy to know she's the same age as my sister was when we moved to Vegas. That first year here is still so vivid to me and I can't believe I have a daughter that old now. Luckily Tyler came to assist me in the dropping off/picture-taking/wrangling the boys for the first day. He walked Caylee over to her campus (my girls go to different schools that are divided by a parking lot) and I went to drop Kenzie in her line, snap a couple pictures and be off. We had discussed the procedure and I was trying to not ruin her cool by hanging out, etc. but when we got there she didn't see any of her friends and she totally panicked. I mean, head in my shirt, trying not to cry, but then crying, and then not wanting to look like she was crying! Oh, it was awful. I remember those exact feelings and HATING every minute of it. I was all worried because I hadn't even said goodbye to Caylee (or gotten pictures) and so I knew I was going to HAVE to leave Kenzie all by herself. So, I kept putting it off and looking for her friends OR even her teacher would have been helpful, but w didn't see either. I ended up running (and y'all know I am not a runner!) over to the other playground JUST in time to see Caylee all lined up looking as anxious and nervous as I have ever known her to be. UGH! I just wanted the bell to ring and get them going away from the drama that is THE FIRST DAY. Of course I did the normal Mom thing (which I had just tried on Kenzie) to get them all pumped up with, "Ah, this'll be great! I'm so excited. You're gonna love it. Just think of all the new friends you'll make." They're looking up at me like, "Uh, I hope you're right." But knowing they're putting their trust in me is a lot of pressure because what if one year they come home and their first day stinks!? LUCKILY, it didn't and they had a great day. Phew, buyin' momma's bullcrap a little bit longer. Every day since has been a lot easier and I'm loving being back into some sort of a routine. Here's some of the pre-drop off pics since I don't want to post other kids pics online:

Caylee Barlow - 1st grade - Ms. McMurtrey

Mackenzie - 4th grade - Ms. Fuentes

6 comments:

ElRae said...

Thanks! Love the pictures of them all dressed up and smiling.

Beth said...

The first day of school angst. I still remember it 40 years later. Of course, it helped that EVERY year, I had the same kids to go back to and I knew the teacher I would have because she was the ONLY teacher for the grade. Still...

Kourtney said...

I always loved the first day. That would be hard to do 1st day pics when they are on separate campus'. The girls looked VERY cute!

Donna said...

They look so grown up and so very cute.

Marsha said...

Sarah your girls are beautiful. Isn't everyone nervous the first day?

Julie said...

Hey Sarah, I can not believe how grown up Mackenzie looks, it makes me feel old! You will have to tell Mrs. Mc Murturey hi for us, Jake and Emmalie both had her and loved her!! Have a fun year!